Sunday, August 30, 2009

THE BENEFITS OF OLIVE OIL



THE BENEFITS OF OLIVE OIL




Hello folks,

I am going to write about the benefits of olive oil because I am learning more and more about this very versatile oil the more I use it. I began using olive oil on a regular basis when I
decided to clean up my diet. I learned about good and bad oils. I learned that hydrogenated oils are bad and that regular table vegetable oil isn't real good for you. I learned that olive oil is not only better for you but that consuming a few ounces of it a day is actually beneficial for you. It is a good oil meaning that it helps keep your circulatory system clean instead of being one of the fats that clog it up.



OLIVE OIL HAS ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTIES



When I refer to Olive Oil I mean 'EVOO' which stands for 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil' and I would also add that you should get organic because it will have more of the benefits I am touting. EVOO also has excellent antioxidant properties because it is rich in polyphenals and hydroxytyrosol. Go ahead and Google those words to get an in depth explanation of their properties. I will, however, tell you that hydroxytyrosol slows the aging process by stablizing the cell membrane plasma and anything that can protect your cells from destruction is a GOOD thing. It also prevents oxidation of keratin, the protein essential to healthy, supple skin, lustrous hair and strong nails.
It's also high in vitamin E which, is also an antioxidant. Remember, antioxidants protect against age -accelerating free radicals. Rumor has it that olive oil baths are the secret to Sophia Loren
's seemingly ageless skin.  For great anti-aging benefits from the inside out with the most concentration of antioxidants I have found  try this.  You can learn about antioxidants and how they affect you.  You will learn about a product I use and if you are interested you can contact someone to obtain this wonderful product for yourself.  I really do use it!




THE MANY USES FOR OLIVE OIL


I use olive oil in many ways but I found a nice concise list at this website www.naturalcaresecrets.com See below:



BATH: For a moisturizing soak, add about 1/4 cup olive oil and several drops of essential oil to your bathwater. Lavender oil will help you relax before going to bed. (be careful as the tub may be slippery).

DRY SKIN: Gently massage a small amount of olive oil on extra dry areas such as elbows or heels.

HANDS: Whip up a quick sugar scrub for rough, dry hands. Combine two tablespoons of oil with two tablespoons of sugar. Rub on hands until sugar begins to dissolve. Rinse with warm water. Voila! Silky smooth hands.

FEET: Apply a liberal amount of oil to feet at bedtime. Cover with cotton socks. Not sexy... but oh-so-soft feet in the morning! The magic works for hands, too. Cover with white cotton gloves (hmm, even less sexy).

FACE: Create a moisturizing facial mask with olive oil, honey, and an egg yolk. Beat until well blended and apply to face... then relax! Leave on for 15 minutes; rinse with warm water.

NAILS: Warm a small dish of olive oil (not too hot) with a tablespoon of lemon juice. Soak nails for 5-10 minutes. This softens cuticles while it strengthens nails.

HAIR: For a simple oil treatment, warm several tablespoonsof olive oil (again, not too hot). Rub into scalp and hair. Cover with a shower cap or small plastic bag. Leave on for 20-30 minutes.

For extra conditioning, mix an egg yolk with olive oil... but do not warm. This is great for dry hair and split ends. It may even heal dandruff. Shampoo twice after this treatment or you'll smell like raw egg!

LIPS: Alleviate chapped lips with straight olive oil. Dab on lips... especially helpful at bedtime.


I will have more on olive oil in another article, just remember to also consume olive oil. It can help all the things we just talked about from the inside out.

Thanks for stopping by.

Adam




















1 comment:

  1. Adam! GREAT Article! This is so helpful. I can do this with the stuff I already have in my house! (See all my !!!'s I'm excited.)

    ReplyDelete